Dreams Punta Cana
Playas Uvero Alto
Provincia La Altagracia
(809) 682-0404 phone
(809) 468-0183 fax
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
WEDDING FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How do I start?
Ceremony and Reception locations
Cost of a destination wedding at Dreams Punta Cana
Wedding details and decor
What about family and friends who cannot attend?
Do you hold destination weddings at your resort?
- Yes, we hold weddings at all of our resorts
Is there a dedicated wedding planner on site?
- There are dedicated wedding coordinators on site and can be reached at:
Can you let me know availability for the other properties?
- There are dedicated wedding coordinators at each resort who handles their individual wedding schedule. Please contact the wedding coordinator at each resort for the most accurate schedule.
What services does your wedding planner provide? Is there a fee?
- There is no fee for the use of our wedding coordinators. A specialist will assist you prior to and on your special day and are available throughout the entire experience to answer any question you may have regarding your event.
How much time would we need to reserve our wedding in advance?
- Weddings should be reserved at least three months in advance but one year is preferable if you have exact dates in mind. We do not hold more than one wedding at a resort at the same time.
How can we confirm our wedding date?
- There is a Wedding Request Form listed on Dreams Punta Cana wedding page. Simply fill out this form and if the date is available, the weddings department at the resort will be happy to confirm availability. After we receive a deposit and the signed contract, we will reserve that date for you. The wedding will be considered confirmed only when you receive a written communication stating so.
What if we want to reserve on short notice?
- You should contact the wedding coordinator directly
How many days do we need to arrive prior to the ceremony?
- The Dominican Republic requires that you be in the country at least three business days prior. Sundays and Dominican holidays do not count. Your arrival day does not count toward the “business day” requirement. You must arrive three FULL business days prior.
What is the difference between legal (civil), religious and symbolic ceremonies?
- In the Dominican Republic, a civil ceremony is performed by a judge and religious ceremony is performed by a Catholic priest (please note that Catholic ceremonies cannot be performed on the beach). The required paperwork will need to be arranged directly with the priest. Both civil and religious ceremonies are legally recognized. Symbolic ceremonies and renewal of vows are performed by the wedding coordinator and have no legal bearing.
Do we need to send any documentation prior to arrival?
- The wedding department needs to have copies of the documentation (for approval) prior to arrival. The copies can be sent via email or fax.
What private indoor and outdoor areas of the resort are available for a wedding? Are indoor spaces air-conditioned?
- We have a beautiful wedding gazebo, outdoor terraces and the beach available for outdoor receptions. For indoor receptions, our banquet rooms are available with air-conditioning.
How many people can each of them accommodate?
- Based on using round tables with 10 people seated at each:
- Ballroom: 300 people
- Beach: 200 people
- Himitsu Terrace: 100 people
- Banquet rooms: 70 people each
- El Patio Terrace: 50 people
- Portofino Terrace: 40 people
Can you email me a layout and images of these places?
- Certainly, please contact our wedding coordinator.
Do you have an online photo gallery or can you email me pictures of other destination weddings that have taken place at your resort?
- Our wedding coordinator can email pictures of other weddings that have taken place at Dreams Punta Cana. You can also browse the resort’s online photo gallery and be sure to check out the testimonials from some happy couples!
What do you offer in the way of decorations?
- We offer different kinds of center pieces and floral arches based on the flowers you have selected. You can also add decorations for the columns in the gazebo.
What about special touches that will “wow” my guests?
- We offer several finishing touches that will make your day extra special – examples include fireworks, a bonfire, and private sunset cruises. Ask the wedding coordinator for more details or check out the Dreams Punta Cana Wedding Guide
What time of day do most destination weddings occur?
- Ordinarily the hours are 3, 4, 5 and 6 PM, for all types of ceremonies.
If we want our wedding on the beach, how is it set-up?
- Canopy with white linen, covered chairs, ceremonial table and sound system.
How do I get the free wedding that is advertised?
- This package is available when staying seven nights in the specified room category. See the wedding package details or contact the wedding coordinator to book your dates!
Is it performed in English or Spanish?
- The ceremony will be performed by the judge in Spanish. The resort will provide an English translator.
What if I don’t have a witness?
- If there are no witnesses available, these will be provided by the resort.
Will there be other weddings taking place during the same time as ours?
- No. Your special time is yours and yours only however, there may be other weddings performed on the same day at different times or locations.
What is the cost of a destination wedding at your resort, or is it included in the price of our stay?
- We offer three packages. Rates and inclusions depend on which you prefer. Please refer to the main wedding package section of the website for details.
Do you offer a set wedding package, or do we choose the elements individually?
- We have three set packages, however you can add anything extra that you wish. Browse the Dreams Punta Cana Wedding Guide for details.
Can you email a price list to me? Do you expect those prices to change by the date of my wedding?
- Prices for our wedding packages are included on our website. For those little extra touches, a separate price list can be obtained from the wedding coordinator. Prior to your signed contract, prices are subject to change as services are provided by outside vendors.
If I want to bring friends and family members, do you offer a discount on the price of rooms?
- Special group rates are available when booking 10 rooms or more.
What about guests not staying at the resort?
- Guests who chose to come only for the event must purchase a day pass. This will be an additional cost. There are also special discounted children’s rates available upon request.
- Half Day Pass $55/person(Excludes dinner)
- Full Day Pass $90/person(Includes breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- prices are in US dollars and are subject to change.
How many guests are permitted at the standard wedding? What do you charge if we exceed that number?
- Packages are valid for either 10 or 20 guests. Additional guests would incur an additional charge. This applies to the cake and private dinners.
Why do weddings have an additional charge, when Dreams Punta Cana is an all inclusive resort?
- Dreams Punta Cana uses the Unlimited Luxury service, under this service all meals, beverage and entertainment are included by the moment you pay your room; however private functions, like weddings, events, etc, require a different set up, menu, and staff. Therefore, all these services will require additional charges.
Do you require a down payment? How much? When is the balance due?
- For the Wedding in Paradise Package, a $100 deposit is required. For the Dreams of Love and Dreams Ultimate Wedding Package, a $500 deposit is required. The deposits are necessary to hold and confirm the wedding dates and will be applied to the total cost of the wedding package.
What is your cancellation policy?
- The wedding can be canceled six or more months prior to the confirmed date without penalties. If the wedding is canceled within six months, the non-refundable deposit will be kept as a penalty. If the wedding is canceled, but the couple still travels as planned, the deposit can then be applied toward any additional room charges made during their stay.
Who performs the ceremony at your resort?
- A local judge or minister will come to the resort to perform your ceremony.
What if we want a ceremony that honors a particular religion; can someone of that faith be provided?
- It can possibly be arranged as long as there is previous notice given.
On the other hand, what if we want a ceremony that is not religious?
- Non-religious ceremonies are an option at all of our resorts.
How long is the ceremony?
- The ceremony lasts about 20 minutes. The optional cocktail party and reception follow shortly after.
What do brides and grooms typically wear at your resort weddings?
- Brides usually wear the beautiful white gown they have always dreamed of. Grooms often choose to wear khakis and a white dress shirt. Most couples also prefer to go barefoot. However, the choice of your attire is up to you.
Will someone be available to iron my wedding dress?
- Wedding dress preparation is included in the wedding packages. If you do not select a wedding package, or your wedding party wants to iron/steam their outfits, our laundry service can also prepare their garments.
What happens if we choose an outside ceremony and reception -- and it rains? Do you have a picture of the back up plan?
- The wedding ceremony and reception can be moved indoors to the ballroom. For images please contact our wedding coordinator.
- Restaurants close to the outdoor venue, Oceana and El Patio restaurant, are also used as back up plans for receptions.
What time approximately is sunset?
- Sunset is around 6:30 PM from October until February. During the other months sunset is around 7 PM.
What types of flowers are available locally? Is there a florist onsite?
- We work with a local florist who offers a wide selection of flowers including - colored roses, stargazer lilies, gladiolas, bird of paradise, and other varieties of tropical flowers.
Is live music available?
- There are several options available for live music including a live band, Caribbean Trio, and saxophonist and pianist. Contact the wedding coordinator for details and pricing.
Can we supply our own music on CD?
Can you email me suggested menus for the reception?
- Yes, the wedding coordinator can provide details and you can also browse sample menus in the Dreams Punta Cana Wedding Guide.
What kinds of wedding cake can you supply?
- The wedding cake will be chosen by you. Once you arrive at the resort you will meet with the wedding coordinator to choose your cake. We have a standard white icing cake (vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, or almond). Should you want a specific design, please send the picture and it will be quoted separately.
Do you provide photography/videography services? What is the cost and what do we get for that amount?
- Please review the list of extras. The cost will vary depending on which photographer you choose.
Is there someone who can handle the legal details for us and guide us through the process?
- You need to work directly with the Dominican Consulate in your country in order to have all your documentation translated and legalized.
- The wedding coordinator will deal directly with the local officials to coordinate the process of the marriage license after the wedding.
What are the requirements to get a marriage in the Dominican Republic?
- Parties must be at least 18 years of age.
- Valid passport or photo ID
- Original copies or certified photocopies of birth certificates, adoption certificates (if applicable) and name deeds (if applicable)
- Apostille (see description in following question)
- Single Status Affidavit in Spanish for each party (See next item). A joint affidavit is not acceptable. These must be notarized and state whether the bride or groom has ever been married, divorced, or widowed. Originals must be brought with you to the property.
- Original and photo copies of the court decree absolute if divorced. Bride must be legally divorced for a minimum of 10 months
- Two witnesses with passport or photo ID, provided by the hotel if needed. The witnesses can not be family members.
- Original and photocopies of death certificates, if applicable
- Full name of both parents
What is an Apostille?
- This is a documentary device by which a government department, usually the State Department, Justice Ministry or Foreign Ministry, authenticates a document as genuine, thereby legalizing it for use in another member country.
An Apostille consists of the following:
- Name of country from which the document emanates
- Name of person signing the document
- The capacity in which the person signing the document has acted
- In the case of unsigned documents, the name of the authority which has affixed the seal or stamp
- Place of certification
- The authority issuing the certificate
- The number of the certificate
- Seal or stamp of authority issuing the certificate
- Signature of authority issuing the certificate
What is a Single Status Affidavit document, why do I need it and where do I get it?
- A Single Status Affidavit clearly states that both parties are eligible to marry. It should be prepared by a lawyer and notarized, then sent to the Dominican Consulate for approval and translation. These documents should be brought with you and valid up to 90 days before the wedding.
I was divorced less then one year ago. Can I have my civil ceremony at the resort?
- According to Dominican Law a divorced woman has to wait 10 months before remarrying unless she is marrying the same man she divorced or she was divorced under special DR law. Then the ruling has a waiting period of 24 hours.
Do we need proof of any medical tests?
- No, there is no need for any medical tests in the Dominican Republic.
If we have to travel offsite to get the license, does your resort provide transportation?
- The Judge will duly register your Wedding Certificate at the Central Civil Board, and legalize it with the Foreign Affairs Department of the Dominican Republic; Dreams Punta Cana will then send the wedding certificate to the couple by mail (this procedure may take 8-12 weeks.)
If my name is different from the passport and birth certificate will this present a problem?
- First, middle and last names must show up identically in all of the following documents: passport, affidavit declaration and birth certificate. If not the Civil Judge might refuse the wedding.
Will the judge perform the ceremony if all of our documents are not in order? Are there any exceptions?
- Sorry, if any documents are missing or incorrect there can be no ceremony. No exceptions. Your wedding coordinator will help assure that everything is in order.
How long will it take to get our pictures back, and can they be quickly posted on an online album?
- If you choose a photographer provided by our wedding coordinator, expect to receive your photos and photo album the day after the ceremony. Depending on the package chosen, your images will appear on DVD or in a lovely album that also includes digital file.
What type of Internet access is available at your property?
- Dreams Punta Cana offers wireless internet access in the lobby for a charge, as well as an internet café.
Do you have a dedicated honeymoon suite?
- Yes, Dreams Punta Cana offers a honeymoon suite and a swim-out honeymoon suite that are equipped with two Jacuzzi baths - one indoor and outdoor, full bathroom with a jetted whirlpool bathtub, and a host of amenities.
Is there a private terrace or outdoor area where we can hold a rehearsal dinner?
- We can accommodate a rehearsal dinner at any one of our restaurants depending on the number of guests, as well as a private location, for an extra charge.
Is there a charge for guests to participate in sports at the resort?
- No extra charge and non-motorized water sports are included.
Can you arrange a special tour or activity for our guests?
- These may be arranged through the preferred tour company set up in the resort lobby. They are more then happy to arrange a group outing to fit your needs
Do I need any immunizations before traveling?
- You do not need any immunizations to travel to the Dominican Republic.
What is the time zone?
- We are in the Eastern Time Zone.
Can I drink the water?
- We do not recommend drinking the water from the tap. All water and ice served in the restaurants and bars is purified. Bottled water is also readily available. Please be careful when venturing out the resort.
Can I bring dollars?
- Yes, American dollars are recognized and accepted in the Dominican Republic
Is it easy to enter into the Dominican Republic?
- You must have a valid passport to enter the Dominican Republic. Due to the large number of passport applications, the US Government has allowed some passport flexibility to these countries. Please visit http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html for details.
Do you mind me asking all these questions?
- Not at all! Our wedding coordinators are happy to assist you in planning your perfect day, so please feel free to ask away.
And be sure to browse the Dreams Punta Cana Wedding Guide for further details.